Monday, December 13, 2010

Chicken Divan in the Crockpot

 
So I am running out of crockpot recipes.
 
I am going to have to scour the internet and cookbooks to get some more good ones.
 
I am sure if you're like me, you started off with a handful of tired and true recipes and ventured no further.
 
Because of this blog... I need to venture..... and venture some more.
 
This has led me to only one dinner drama disaster... so I can't complain.
 
Tonight  was not one of them thankfully.
 
I went Christmas shopping and wasn't home to try this one.
 
I left the photo taking and the serving to the hubs.
 
He did a great job on the serving
 
You'll have to forgive the photos....lol 
 
He is sweet enough to do it for me though... so I appreciate that.
 
Now, I'm not sure if you remember, but the hubs is NO chef.
 
So I figured this was a no brainer.
 
Take it out and serve.
 
Well, he surprised me tonight and doctored this dish up slightly for the kids.
 
and not in a bad way.
 
I believe he actually made this recipe better.
 
He fried up some ham and crumbled it and put it on top.
 
But... before you think he's had some kind of cooking epiffany
 
You must know....
 
He adds ham, honey & hot sauce to pretty much everything.
 
Regardless, adding the ham was a bonus on this occasion.
 
 
Ingredients
20 ounces frozen broccoli spears
6 chicken breasts
21 1/2 ounces cream of chicken soup, canned
2 cups mayonnaise
2 teaspoons lemon juice
3-4 slices of ham
 
Directions:
 
Place broccoli in slow cooker.
Place chicken on top of the broccoli.
Mix together the soup, mayonnaise and lemon juice.
Pour over the chicken.
Cover; cook on Low for 8 hours or high for 4
Cook ham in pan and crumble and put over top
or add ham slices to crockpot for last 30 minutes

***Review:
Well, I didn't eat it until later... but I still thought it was good.  Hubs said it was a little tangy... but that was the miracle whip speaking.  Otherwise, he liked it.  Kids ate it once hubs doctored it up.  It had broccoli IN it... so the fact that they ate it says something....lol  Love, love, love the ham on top!

**Tips:
Well, as stated above, Hubs added some fried ham to the original recipe and that made it great.  I did use
 1 C of miracle whip in place of 1 C of mayo... which I wouldn't necessarily recommend, but it wasn't awful.  I can see now how it altered the taste... which I knew was going to happen.  I thought I had more mayo ... but I only had one cup.  It was all in the crockpot... what's a girl to do?  ;) 
Also, since it comes with the veggie in place, hubs served this with a side of tomato parmesan Pasta Roni .  I don't make everything homemade you know!

No comments:

Post a Comment