Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Sweet & Sour Crockpot Chicken

Wow!

I am voting this the BEST crockpot recipe I have made so far!

I really really like this one.

Maybe it's because I have a love for Asian food, but whatever....

It's awesome!

It could also be that it is one of the easiest.

Hmmm!

I hope you will try this and let me know what you think.

Hopefully, you'll be just as excited about it as I am.

It's ok if you're not, I want to know that too!

I'm sure there's bound to be one or two people out there that actually try these recipes

Right?  :)

If you're one of them, please leave me a comment here and there and let me know what you think

Sometimes I feel like I'm writing to myself, ya know?

On with the cooking......................


Ingredients
  • 6 frozen skinless, boneless chicken breasts
  • 1 pkg. dry onion soup mix
  • 1/2 cup Russian or French salad dressing
  • 1 cup apricot preserves or jam
  • 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
  • 1 tsp. dried thyme or basil leaves
  • 1/8 tsp. pepper
  • 2 Tbs Corn starch (optional)**
Directions: 

Place chicken pieces in the bottom of your crockpot
Mix remaining ingredients (except corn starch)in a medium bowl and pour over chicken.
Stir to coat.
Cover crockpot and cook on low for 6-8 hours
**Before you serve it  you can thicken the mixture by combining2 tablespoons cornstarch with 3 tablespoons water or chicken stock and mix until smooth. Add to the crockpot; turn to high for 10-15 minutes until sauce is thickened.

This is definitely not a great picture, but I was in a hurry.  It actually looked much better than this!

***Review:
I think I stated my opinion in the beginning... I am in love.   Hubs was afraid he wouldn't like it because it has apricots in it and he HATES anything peach or that has a peach type flavor. No worries though... he loved it.
It has a great sweet and savory flavor.  Very similar to the sweet and sour chicken you get in a chinese restaurant. My 8 yr old looooved it.... which is saying something.   Only 1 of the other kids didn't like it... so I call that a score! 

**Tips:
Definitely add the corn starch to the mixture if you have it.  It gives it just the right consistency. Also, make sure your chicken is frozen....that is why it was so moist... especially for chicken breast. I don't think I've eaten such a tender piece of chicken breast before.

*Calories:
This recipe makes six servings and has aprox. 350 calories per serving.   Don't forget that the rice or whatever you serve it on is not counted in this number.

4 comments:

  1. I'm making your stir fry tonight and making this tomorrow! I'm addicted to your cooking and recipes! Even though you think you are writing to yourself - YOU AREN'T. Once someone trys one of your recipes and realizes how easy and great tasting they are - they will keep coming back and have your blogged bookmarked on their computer. Thanks Carli - xoxoxoxo Alisha

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome!!! Thank you for your sweet comment! I'm glad I'm not writing to myself anymore...lol
    I'm so happy you like my blog and are loving the recipes! Cant wait to hear how you like the sweet & sour chicken

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's definitely bookmarked on mine! i keep coming back for more......doin this recipe tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks... I know you'll love this one!

    ReplyDelete