Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Baked Pecan French Toast

Today I am going to share with you a wonderful recipe I tried from another blog.

This isn't just any other blog though....

It's my friend Kara's blog. 

She has a lot of fun recipes over there

And every once in a while, I steal borrow one to share on my blog

2 weeks ago she posted this and I knew I had to try it.

I mean, I LOVE french toast... and it was easy.

No brainer right?

I figured this would be the perfect Christmas morning breakfast because basically all I had to do is put it in the oven in the morning (and turn the oven on).

I was right!

It was AH-MAZING! 

My parents were here to try it as well and all 9 of us LOVED it!

Thanks Kara!

Here's the recipe:
Ingredients:
4 large eggs
1 cup milk
1/4 cup sugar
1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
8 ounce loaf French bread, cut into 12 one inch thick slices
1/2 cup chopped pecans
2 tbsp. melted butter

Directions:
The night before
Lightly coat the bottom of a 12x8 inch glass baking dish with cooking spray.
Whisk together eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla in medium bowl.
Place bread slices in a single layer in the bottom of the prepared dish.
Pour the egg mixture over the bread and turn to coat.
Cover and refrigerate overnight. (very important to refrigerate overnight)

The morning ofPreheat oven to 425 degrees.
Sprinkle bread slices with pecans and drizzle melted butter over.
Bake about 20 to 25 minutes until bread slices are puffed and pecans are deep brown.
Serve immediately.

Serves 4 to 6.
Just out of the oven


***Review:
We all LOVED it!  It wasn't soggy (which is what my mom feared) it was perfect.  and let me tell you...it was waaaay easier than frying up french toast at the stove (for 9 people).... not to mention a little healthier.
 My oldest son and I made it up around midnight on the 24th... it was very fast and easy to make.  We made two batches and it was the perfect amount!    All 5 kids ate it all up!  They want it again soon!  I do too! :)

**Tips:
I will agree with Kara that the nuts tend to burn if you cook them the whole time, I will recommend that you add the nuts the last 10 or 15 minutes and that should help.  I bought 2 loaves of italian bread at the store and sliced them probably finger width thick... I was afraid if you sliced it too thick it would be soggy in the middle.  They came out perfect.  Also, do not forget to spray the pan....they will stick and it will ruin breakfast.  We served this with some turkey bacon and syrup.... mmmmm!

2 comments:

  1. Do you have any idea whether dried bread would work with this? I put a loaf of french bread in the fridge and it went hard. Wondering if I sliced it and soaked it in the egg mixture as described if it would even be noticeable...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Question!
    French toast was originally made using stale bread waaaay back in the day. It was invented because they didn't want to waste stale or old bread. The milk/egg moistened it back up so it was good to eat again... so I don't see why it wouldn't work in this dish. It couldn't hurt to try. Maybe add a little extra egg or liquid... not too much though.
    Let me know if you decide to go ahead and try it. I want to know how it turns out!
    I really do think it will be fine though.

    ReplyDelete