Monday, January 3, 2011

40 Clove Garlic Chicken in the Crockpot

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

 Time sure does fly doesn't it?


I hope all of you had a wonderful and blessed 2010 and I hope that 2011 is even better!

I am looking forward to trying some fun new recipes in 2011

What are you looking forward to?

Yesterday I tried my first new recipe of the year

I have been wanting to try it, but with Christmas and all the cooking to be done there wasn't much time for new recipes.

This week, I was very sick with some sort of cold/flu and wasn't able to really cook at all (or get out of bed)

Thankfully, near the end of the week I was feeling better and was able to pull off a crockpot meal.

Here it is:

Ingredients:
3-4 pounds chicken parts ( I used legs, but you can use a whole chicken even)
1 large onion (or 2 small ones), sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon pepper
40 garlic cloves, whole & peeled



Directions:

Place onion slices on the bottom of the crockpot.

In a large mixing bowl, toss chicken parts with olive oil, salt, paprika, pepper, and all of the garlic cloves.

Place in crockpot, on top of the onion slices

Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4-6 hours




***Review:
I have mixed feelings about this chicken.  I think because I love garlic, I had reeeeealy high expectations for this dish.... and it didn't meet them.  It was good...don't get me wrong, but it didn't have the sharp, garlic-y taste I was hoping for in my mind.  It was more of a sweeter type thing.  I thought it needed more salt, so I changed the recipe accordingly.  Hubs liked it... but didn't love it. A couple of kids ate it and a couple didn't. I would make it again.... but lets just say I'm glad I didn't serve it to company ....lol 
On the upside, it was super easy to make... and I liked that part. 


Notice on the bread I spread some of the cooked garlic.  It spreads like butter!

**Tips:
 I am going to try to make this one more time.... I'm gonna change a few things though.  First off, I used chicken legs.  I liked them,(the kids love them too) but next time I think I will take the skin off first.  Also, they were slightly frozen, so that may have added too much water for the original recipe and therefore made it tatse so plain.  Also, not sure I would add all the paprika next time either... it didn't do anything for me.   I may even replace the regular salt with some garlic salt.  After I make it again, I will come back here and update my review.
Another reason I will make it again: A chef friend of mine thought maybe my garlic was old and didn't have all the "strength" it needed for the flavor I was looking for.  That is entirely possible.... so definitely going to give this another shot sometime soon.


Printable version:

Ingredients:
3-4 pounds chicken parts ( I used legs, but you can use a whole chicken even)
1 large onion (or 2 small ones), sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon pepper
40 garlic cloves, whole & peeled



Directions:

Place onion slices on the bottom of the crockpot.

In a large mixing bowl, toss chicken parts with olive oil, salt, paprika, pepper, and all of the garlic cloves. Place in crockpot, on top of the onion slices
Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4-6 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment