Thursday, January 6, 2011

Kielbasa & Sauerkraut (Stove or crockpot)

If you're looking for a quick go-to dinner.... this is it.

I mean, it's not really even a recipe.

It's just two ingredients thrown together and heated. 

Boom....instant dinner. 

I takes all of 20 minutes from start to finish.

And the best part?

My kids LOVE it.

Hubs & I like it too.

I'm not saying this is something you will be bragging about to your friends or anything

But if you're in a pinch, it works. 

Here's the "recipe".......

Ingredients:
2 lbs of Kielbasa (sliced into 1/2 inch rings)
2 lbs of Sauerkraut ( I use the bags)

Directions:
Slice Kielbasa into rings

Rinse & drain sauerkraut

Put it all in a pan large enough to hold it.
Put a lid on the pan and cook until hot

* Opitionally, you can place this in the crockpot on low a few hours before you're ready to eat.  Add about 1/4 C water if it's going to be in there more than 2 hours
Done!

***Review:
Kids loved this.  At first they were wary, but I told them it was like eating sausage and hotdogs mixed.  That helped.  The sauerkraut was something they had to try first... and they all liked it.  We usually only eat it cold on brats... so doing it like this was something new.  They ate it all up and asked for seconds and thirds.
I like this dish too.  I've been eating it my whole life.  I only have one complaint.  I only like a certain brand of Kielbasa (Kowalski)... but they only make it in Detroit so it's hard to find anywhere else.  I sucked it up and bought meijer brand and it was pretty good.  Not Kowalski... but hey... what can you do?

**Tips:
You can doctor this dish up if you want to.  I like it simple, but I have seen people add lots of different things to it.  Onions, anise seeds, potaotes, pasta... and the list goes on.  Also, you don't have to use Kielbasa.  I suppose you could use any type of polish sausage you want.

Do you have a favorite way of serving this?  Please share!

Printable directions:

Ingredients:
2 lbs of Kielbasa (sliced into 1/2 inch rings)
2 lbs of Sauerkraut ( I use the bags)

Directions:
Slice Kielbasa into rings
Rinse & drain sauerkraut
Put it all in a pan large enough to hold it.
Put a lid on the pan and cook until hot
* Opitionally, you can place this in the crockpot on low a few hours before you're ready to eat.  Add about 1/4 C water if it's going to be in there more than 2 hours
Done!

No comments:

Post a Comment