Friday, January 28, 2011

Creamy Pesto Chicken Penne ( A Reader Recipe)


I have been exhausted this week and even though I've been cooking, I can't seem to find the time to blog.
I usually blog during the kids' naptime, but I've been taking naps myself...lol

I'm going to blame it on my weekend skiing with a bunch of teenagers and no sleep. 

This old body needs some time to catch up I guess.

It also probably has NOTHING to do with the fact that the sun hasn't been out in weeks!

Well, today is my reader recipe post. 

And in case you're all wondering how that is going, well....

I've only had a couple of recipes sent to me. 

So... please, help a girl out! 

Ok.. on to the recipe stuff...

I have actually had this recipe for a while, but didn't have all the ingredients.

I am not one to just go out and buy what I need... it has to be on sale. 

I will wait and wait and wait.

Yes, I know, I'm wierd.... I've learned to accept it...lol

I finally have all the ingredients (the pesto was the hard one for me)

I got this recipe from a very dear friend of mine in Australia

Here is what she has to say about it:
"This one is so easy that Alexa has made it and she's NO expert cook!
It's yummy too. We generally use whatever type of pasta we have in the pantry and I usually make it with basil pesto rather than tomato, but both are good. I also usually put a bit less stock."
( I adjusted stock amount in the recipe for this)

Thank you Ros for sharing your yummy recipe with me!

I was so happy to have finally tried it! 

I can't wait to share it with all of you too:

Creamy Pesto Chicken Penne

Ingredients:
1 box (16oz) Penne Pasta
1.5 lbs chicken breast, cubed
8 oz jar pesto (regular or Sun dried tomato pesto)
1 C Chicken stock
1/4 C Parmesan cheese, shredded (NOT the powdered kind)
1/4 C Cream *(see my notes below in the tips section)
Extra parmesan for serving
1/2 Tbs olive oil

Directions:
Cook pasta until done
Drain, and set aside
Cut raw chicken into bite sized pieces

Add olive oil to pan and cook chicken until browned

Add stock and bring to a simmer
Stir in pesto until combined (use about 3/4 of jar)

Add cream and return to simmer

Stir in parmesan and continue to simmer until chicken is cooked through
Combine pasta and sauce in large bowl and serve

Sprinkle parmesan on top if desired.


***Review:
I LOVED this dish.  I was pretty sure I would.  It is sooo good and one of the easiest I've made in a while!  It's light and hearty all at once.  Hubs loved it too.  The kids were happy to eat it as well... although the "green specks" (pesto) all over it threw them at first.  They weren't sure... until they tasted it!  Some picked out the chicken and some ate it.   Overall it was a thumbs up!  This is a great recipe to serve to company!  It's super easy but looks fancy! Who doesn't love that?  I'm making it again next week for my parents!

**Tips:
I adjusted the Austrailian recipe to the best of my ability converting everything from grams to ounces and pounds.  It all worked out just fine for me.  I did however use 1/2 C Cream instead of 1/4 C because I was on the phone(oops) and read it wrong... but it turned out so great that I will probably use the same amount next time.  Also, I added more parmesan than it called for because I love it and I don't think you can ever have too much cheese.  I think I added about 3/4 C to the sauce and the another 1/2 C to the top of the pasta when I served it.  Again, make sure you are using grated parmesan and not the powdered stuff that comes in a little plastic shaker.  It will not taste the same.  As for the pesto, you could probably use the whole jar... I used a little more than 3/4 of the jar... but what am I going to do with that little bit left? 
*Edited 3/30/11: 
Marinated artichoke hearts would be a great addition to this dish (you can find them jarred or canned) also, you can change up the chicken for shrimp and I think maybe adding a some small sliced grape tomatoes would be great in this as well (and it adds color).

To Serve:
This dish will go great with a salad and some warm crusty Italian bread! 








Printer Friendly Directions:

Creamy Pesto Chicken Penne

Ingredients:
1 box (16oz) Penne Pasta
1.5 lbs chicken breast, cubed
6.7 oz pesto (regular or Sun dried tomato)
1 C Chicken stock
1/4 C Parmesan cheese, shredded (NOT the powdered kind)
1/4 C Cream
Extra parmesan for serving
1/2 Tbs olive oil

Directions:
Cook pasta until done
Drain, and set aside
Cut raw chicken into bite sized pieces
Add olive oil to pan and cook chicken until browned
Add stock and bring to a simmer
Stir in pesto until combined (use about 1/2 to 3/4 of jar)
Add cream and return to simmer
Stir in parmesan and continue to simmer until chicken is cooked through
Combine pasta and sauce in large bowl and serve
Sprinkle parmesan on top if desired.

4 comments:

  1. So glad you got all your ingredients finally and were able to make this recipe, and also that it turned out so well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sending it to me. I will think of you every time I make it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We absoulutely LOVED this recipe. I will be making it again! I would add some artichokes to it though. I think that would taste really good in it. YUM!

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are absolutely right... artichokes would be a perfect addition to this dish. I actually thought I added that suggestion... but I did not. Glad you guys liked it!

    ReplyDelete