Monday, January 10, 2011

Sausage Stuffed Waffles

So the hubs was out of town and I didn't feel like making any sort of fancy meal

Meaning... a meal the kids weren't going to eat anyway.

So I thought breakfast for dinner would be fun.

They thought so too.

Waffles and sausage it is!

So as I'm thinking about getting all the ingredients together ...it occurs to me,

What if I put the sausage IN the waffle batter and cook it like that?

I put syrup on my sausage anyway... so what's the difference?

Then it hit me.... Why in the world has no one ever thought of this before?

I even googled it and didn't find anything.

I'm sure someone out there has done this before... but for whatever reason... it just hasn't caught on yet.

Well... I'm starting the trend... because it tastes good AND it's fun.

On a side note, these waffles are great on their own.  (without sausage stuffed inside)

I got the recipe many many years ago and I LOVE it.

Sometimes I eat them without any syrup and then I make extras that I snack on too. 

Seriously good waffles!

Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
6 Eggs
2 C Milk
1/2 C Oil
2 tsp Vanilla
4 C Flour
1 tsp Salt
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 C Sugar
1 Lb. Ground sausage, crumbled & cooked

Directions:
Pre-heat belgian waffle maker
Spray it with non-stick spray

In a bowl, beat egss until thick

Add milk, oil, & Vanilla
In seperate bowl, mix all dry ingredients


Add flour mix to egg mix and hand beat until just blended

Batter is supposed to be lumpy...like this ^

Add cooked sausage to batter and blend


Take about 1 C of batter and place in waffle maker


Cook for 2 minutes

Repeat until all batter is gone
Makes about 7 large waffles

***Review:
The kids raved over these waffles!  They were so excited to see the sausage IN the waffles.  I really liked them too.... they tasted great.  Hubs was excited to hear about them over the phone and has requested I save him one to try (which I did).  We are excited about this new invention and will add it to the favorites list.
We have always loved these waffles but adding the sausgage was pretty cool! 

**Tips:
One thing that is very important to the texture of these waffles is hand mixing... and not only that, but not mixing for too long.  The flour will get "tough" and heavy the more you mix it.  So only mix it until it's blended.... then leave it alone! If you do it right.. your waffles will be light and fluffy!  Also, make sure at least one of the bowls you use is big enough to hold all the ingredients when you mix them together.

Since I've only made this once, I think that next time I will cook the sausage until it's reeaaly done and I think I will add a little syrup to the saugsage while it's still in the pan and let it cook down. I think that will give it a little more flavor.  On a side note, these waffles are pretty big and I can barely eat one.
ps.  If you have only a regular waffle maker, I'm sure these will work there too... just use less batter!

I hope you have fun trying these!



Printer friendly recipe:

Ingredients:
6 Eggs
2 C Milk
1/2 C Oil
2 tsp Vanilla
4 C Flour
1 tsp Salt
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 C Sugar
1 Lb. Ground sausage, crumbled & cooked

Directions:
Pre-heat belgian waffle maker
Spray it with non-stick spray

In a large bowl, beat egss until thick
Add milk, oil, & Vanilla
In seperate bowl, mix all dry ingredients

Add flour mix to egg mix and hand beat until just blended
Add cooked sausage to batter and blend

Take about 1 C of batter and place in waffle maker
Cook for 2 minutes
Repeat until all batter is gone
Makes about 7 large waffles

4 comments:

  1. Those sound so great Carli! You are a genius! :-) I am going to try them for one of our Big Breakfast celebrations. Mak hates having food mixed together, so she may be a bust, but the rest of us will totally dig it I bet! Thanks for the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! I hope you like them as much as I liked your french toast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just made them for Big breakfast! We all loved them!!!! Oh my word! I couldn't even eat a whole one and mine was just a basic waffle maker - not a belgian one. Soooo yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! Thanks for trying them AND for sharing them on your blog as well! You're awesome!

    ReplyDelete