Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Garlic Hummus

I've decided to add a few appetizers to this site.

I've been asked if I have any good appetizer recipes... and guess what?

I do!

I mean, we can always use a few appetizer recipes right?

I know you probably don't make appetizers every night

But, I seem to make them at least a few times a month for different things

So, I will assume you need appetizer recipes every once in a while too

This recipe is something I make just to keep around the house.

We love eating it at any given time for a snack

It's also great to bring to a friends house to share.

Do you have a tried and true appetizer that you always bring to parties?



Garlic Hummus

 
Ingredients:
2 (15 oz) Cans Garbanzo beans (also called chick peas)
1/4 C Tahini
5 cloves garlic, crushed or diced (or more to taste)
2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 C Olive oil
1/2 C water (approx)
1/2 Tbs salt
1/4 tsp Cumin* optional


Tools you need:
Food Processor

Directions:
Drain beans and place in food processor

Add olive oil,garlic,salt, cumin, lemon juice & tahini
Turn on food processor
Slowly add water until you get a smooth consistency
You may need more or less water depending on how thick/thin you want it.

Scoop it out of the food processor into a bowl and serve!

***Review:
MMMMM!  I love hummus... kids love hummus.. hubs loves hummus!  This one is a winner in our house.  I make it often.  I love that I can tweak it just how I want it! 

**Tips:
If you want to use the liquid from one of the jars of beans, you can do that in place of some of the water.  Sometimes I do that, sometimes not.  It depends on if I remember before I drain the beans...lol   Add the water slowly.  You want your hummus to be sort of thick... like a paste almost.  If you add too much water it will be runny and you don't want that.
Also, feel free to add more or less garlic as well.  This recipe is basically a base... so you can add whatever you want.  Some people add pine nuts, roasted peppers, eggplant, peppers.... the list goes on.  You can also leave out the garlic if you don't like it... or lessen it if you want.  I like the bite the garlic gives it.
Also, if you're trying to save on calories, you can cut out the tahini.  I have never done this, but my sister does it this way and she says it's awesome and you can't tell.  I'm not sure if I believe her or not...lol   But I think I would try it to save on some calories... also, tahini is expensive... so that's another motivator!


make sure the consistency is thick enough

How do I eat this?
Hummus is great with pita bread, flat bread, tortilla chips or sea salt bagel chips.  You just break off some pieces and dip it in!
But it's also great on sandwiches.  Hubs loves to spread some on a warm tortilla and add scrambled eggs for a yummy breakfast wrap! I've tried it... it's awesome.  My 8yr old is proud to have come up with that one.
Another idea is to spread some hummus on a tortilla, add some shredded chicken and grill the wrap. That is my favorite! 

Printable directions:

Ingredients:
2 (15 oz) Cans Garbanzo beans (also called chick peas)
1/4 C Tahini
5 cloves garlic, crushed or diced (or more to taste)
2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 C Olive oil
1/2 C water (approx)
1/2 Tbs salt
1/4 tsp Cumin* optional


Tools you need:
Food Processor

Directions:
Drain beans and place in food processor
Add olive oil,garlic,salt, lemon juice & tahini
Turn on food processor
Slowly add water until you get a smooth consistency
You may need more or less water depending on how thick/thin you want it.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Carli! I'm Kara's friend, Julie. I've heard so much about you I feel like I know you. I'm so glad Kara linked to your blog. Dinner is always drama in my house full of boys. (not as many as yours, actually, not even 1/2, as I only have 2) :) Anyways, I love hummus AND I just bought my first really nice food processor in which I have no idea what to do with it. Can't wait to keep checking back for more recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julie! Nice to "meet" you. I have also heard a lot about you and your boys from Kara as well!
    I'm so glad she linked to my blog too...lol
    I never had any idea what to do with my food processor either... but I finally found some great things. Now it's one of my favorite appliances! If you want another fun food processor idea, check out the homemade peanut butter post. Your boys will love it!

    ReplyDelete