Saturday, December 4, 2010

Grandma's Biscotti "S" Cookies

My taste tester/neighbor invited me to a Christmas cookie exchange.

I have never been to one before.

The idea of baking 7 dozen cookies kind of freaked me out.

I really wanted to do it though, so I started looking for recipes that were easy to bake a zillion of, but still yummy.

I am limited on time and can't stay in baking all day long... ya know?

My mom suggested I make my grandma's "S" cookies.

These are a staple food in our family.

Whenever my grandma is around, there are these cookies.

I have been eating them my whole life and I love them

My husband is totally addicted.

Whenever my parents visit us, my grandma sends bags of the cookies with them

I have never made them alone before... she always does it.

I have had the recipe for years, but never needed to use it.

So, with a phone call in to Grandma for a little support (she's in AZ for the winter), I decided to try them.

To my surprise,they came out perfect.

My dad happened to be visiting when I was baking so he and the hubs got to judge the goodness of my cookies.... compared to grandmas.

They were a hit!

Phew!



Ingredients:

6 eggs (room temperature)
2 C Sugar
1 C Oil
2 tsp Baking powder
8 C flour (plus more to flour your kneading surface)
2 tsp Anise oil

Directions:

Beat together eggs, oil & sugar
Add vanilla, baking powder & anise oil
Hand mix in 7 cups of  flour gradually

until you get a thick bread dough consistency.. you do not want it sticky

Flour your countertop and place dough on counter

Knead the rest of the flour into the dough until you get the consistency you need.  You many need more or less flour.
Once dough is ready, shape it into a loaf and let sit for 20 minutes

When dough is ready, slice strips off dough and roll into long "snakes" (like playdough)


Cut into 5 inch sections and make into "S" shape.

Grease a cookie sheet and place cookies on sheet.

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and bake for 20 minutes or until slightly golden on top

Makes 95 cookies

***Review:
Everyone loves these cookies.  I don't think I've ever met anyone who doesn't.  Kids, adults... everyone!  Even if you don't like black licorice... which most people don't, you will still like them.   You can't even taste it at all.  I love that, given the amount of flour you use, there isn't too much sugar.  The cookies end up not too sweet.... which I love.  Just a little hint.  Try them for yourself...see if you disagree!

**Tips:
Make sure you do not over cook these or they will be very dry and hard (though my mom actually likes them that way)
Also, you can frost these if you want but most people like them plain.
If you want to make frosting, my grandma always uses a few Tbs milk mixed with some powdered sugar to get a thick consistency, frosts them with that and then adds christmas sprinkles to the top.
You could even dip the tips into chocolate, if you like that. 
These are great in coffee or tea.  Really, it's just biscotti shaped into a cookie.
If you don't know what Anise oil is, it's a black licorice flavoring that can be found near the vanilla in the grocery store

**In case you want to print the directions in an easy to read, picture free way, here they are:

Directions:
 Beat together eggs, oil & sugar
Add vanilla, baking powder & anise oil
Hand mix in 7 cups of  flour gradually until you get a thick bread dough consistency
You do not want it sticky
Flour your countertop and place dough on counter
Knead the rest of the flour into the dough until you get the consistency you need.  You many need more or less flour.
Once dough is ready, shape it into a loaf and let sit for 20 minutes
When dough is ready, slice strips off dough and roll into long "snakes" (like playdough)
Cut into 5 inch sections and make into "S" shape.
Grease a cookie sheet and place cookies on sheet.
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and bake for 20 minutes or until slightly golden on top

No comments:

Post a Comment