Saturday, November 13, 2010

Homemade Peanut Butter!

Sorry about not getting this posted last night.

We are having some major computer issues

Not quite sure what it is, but my internet access last night was almost zero

It was like having dial up all over again.... do you remember dial up?  Blech!

This morning, it seems to be working ok.

Anyway, I wanted to share with you my peanut butter recipe.

Well, it's not mine, and it's not exactly a recipe... but you get the idea.

Here are the reasons I make my own peanut butter

1. It's very very easy
2. It's healthier than any of those store bought ones with trans fats and all that other junk in them
3. It is 100% peanuts and NOTHING else... no preservatives no oils... nothing!
3. It's cheaper
4. Kids LOVE it

I never thought it would be this easy .... the thought of making your own...well, anything seemed a bit
over achiever-ish. 

Let me assure you that this is not the case.  This is E-A-S-Y!  Really!

My friend Alisha makes fun of me for making my own peanut butter... but that's ok because her daughter loves my peanut butter and thinks it's the best in the world... I can live with that :)

All the kids LOVE making peanut butter. 

My friend Kara's daughter has helped me make it too..as well as a few of my son's friends. They just think it's so neat how the nuts turn into peanut butter right before their little eyes!

Kids love to cook and it's such a fun & easy thing to do with them! 

It makes a healthy snack too!

Ingredients:
- 2 (1 lb) Jars of  honey roasted peanuts ( I use any kind that's on sale)
- Food processor ( I know it's not an ingredient... but you have to have this to make the peanut butter)
- Air tight storage container 32 oz or larger (yes, also not an ingredient... but necessary)

Directions:

Place 1 jar of the nuts in the food processor at a time
Turn it on high for 2 to 3  minutes
(it will get lumpy and look like a crumbly dough at first)
***(If you like crunchy peanut butter then here is where we add another step
      When you first turn on the food processor and the nuts are just getting ground up, stop the mixing & take out about a cup of the ground up nuts.  You can add those back in at the end to make it "crunchy")

When it's done it will be smooth like this:
If it's not smooth enough for you, then blend it for another minute or so.

Next scrape it out with a spatula into your storage container like this:
2 (1lb) Jars of nuts make 32 ounces of  yummy peanut butter

***Review:
This is good peanut butter.  Everyone loves it.  I don't know what more I can say.  It's a healthier and tastier option than store bought.  Even the natural store bought isn't this good!  One thing you might notice is that it's a bit more grainy than Jiffy, but that's because we aren't adding all the stuff used to soften it.  It didn't take much to get used to the texture at all.  The kids have never noticed.  If you're used to store bought natural PB then it's pretty much the same texture as that.

** Tips:
This peanut butter can stay on the shelf in your pantry for about 3 months.  If you have kids, it won't last that long anyway...lol
You can easily make this organic by going to trader joe's and buying organic nuts.  I haven't gotten around to that yet... but that's the plan.
I used to use plain nuts and add real honey as I made it, but I don't do that anymore.  I found that the honey crystalized in the PB and makes it hard and not that spreadable. 
Using honey roasted nuts still gives it a sweet honey flavor but it stays nice and smooth.
I recommend putting this in a container with an open top.  If you let it sit a while, the oil separates and you need to mix it a little (not near as bad as the store bought).  If you have an open top, it's much much easier to mix than if it's in a jar. 

Let me know what you think!

Would you ever try this?

Does it look do-able?

Do you want to make fun of me too?  LOL

Leave me a comment and let me know!

4 comments:

  1. That's amazing. It looks so moist. Hard to believe it only has peanuts in it.
    I am not sure about the price thing though? Or at least here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ros,
    Normally the nuts are about $3 or less per jar. I wait until they go on sale and I can usually get them for $2 per jar... and if I have a coupon then they are even less. When I buy, I buy 6 jars at a time so I can make it through until the next sale...lol
    Buying in bulk might be even cheaper, but I haven't looked into that yet

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great - I'm not sure we could find them that cheap here.
    Here, also, I have to buy 'free-nut butter' which looks and tastes a bit like peanut butter but is made from sunflower seeds because they aren't allowed nuts in schools. I wonder if that is made as easily as that peanut butter. hmmm

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will guess that sunflower seeds would do the same thing in the food processor.... if not, you could add a bit of olive oil. Let me know if you give them a try... I'm curious now! :)

    ReplyDelete