Thursday, November 11, 2010

Leftover Soup

We're still working on the leftover grilled steak from Tuedsay
Leftovers....... mmmmm!

I didn't always think that way.

My mom doesn't eat them, my grandmother doesn't eat them

I didn't eat them either.

I do not like them Sam I am! (sorry, I couldn't resist)

But... then I met my hubby.

He likes leftovers

At one point, I joked that he would eat boiled paper if you put hot sauce on it.

I was kind of serious though... during the college years he may have even tried that

Since meeting me his standards have gone up.....

and mine have gone down.

In the FOOD area people.... FOOD!

Remember, this blog is about food?

Anyway.... He is much pickier about food these days and as for me?

Well, I eat leftovers now

I actually love them

(here is where I really want to add another Green Eggs & Ham quote... but I am refraining)

I eat them all the time and I love love love to re-use them in another dish

I love to recycle too... and re-use.

Maybe I should call this recycled soup? 

Hmmm.. maybe not!

Anway, I went to a class once on saving money

She taught how to be frugal in grocery shopping and all that

She taught how to re-use food you would normally throw out.

Ok... don't get all grossed out on on me now!

I am talking about that last little tablespoon of corn left in the bowl after dinner

(NOT off someone's plate)

Those few green beans that no one will eat.

Not enough for a serving and so you just throw it away.

STOP!

Now there is a better way.

Get a ziplock freezer bag.

Label it leftover veggies or meat

Everytime you are done with dinner and have a few carrots or some corn,broccoli, green beans.. anything really..

Put it into this bag in the freezer.

You will be shocked at how fast this bag will fill up

I do the same thing with meat too.

Sick of eating pot roast AGAIN? 

Toss the rest in a freezer bag... juice, onions and all.

When the bags are full... it's time to make leftover soup.

You are basically getting a FREE meal.

These are all little bits of things you will toss anyway... but are perfectly good.

And the mixing of all the flavors is awesome! 

It's never really the same soup because there's always something different about it.

Sometimes it has beans, sometimes it doesn't.... and so on.

Anyway.... I love this soup.  I keep the bags in my freezer door and pretty much add to it every night.

E-A-S-Y!

Ingredients:
- 1 pkg McCormick Beef Stew seasoning
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 2 tsp garlic powder (or to taste)
- 1 (32oz) Beef or Chicken broth/stock
- 1 C water
-1 bag of leftover veggies
- bag of leftover beef
- *1 can diced tomatoes (optional)

Directions:
Add everything to a large pot and cook for a few hours
Cook some small noodles and serve them in the soup


See? E-A-S-Y!


***Review:
Hubs and I love this soup! The kids are iffy... sometimes they eat it sometimes not.  All those veggies in one place freak them out....lol   They do like it better if I serve the "ABC" noodles with it.  I love that this is an easy and free dinner.  Easy and Free.... what more could you ask for.
Hubs is not a soup person... so this only goes over for a day or two.  He doesn't think soup is a meal.  Luckily, you can only make this every few months. 

**Tips:
If you don't have enough veggies left or if you want to make this from "fresh" veggies.. you can still do it.  Just add cans or frozen of whatever veggies you want.  It's pretty much a free for all.  I have never mixed chicken and beef but I suppose you could do that too.  I just like mine this way because it's pretty much Beef Vegetable soup... and I like that.  But do whatever you want.  You can't really mess it up.
You can even put it in the crockpot
Everything is already cooked, so just toss it in on warm or low and let it heat up...  you might want to add a bit more liquid if you're going to cook it all day.  This is one of those things that is even better on the second day!
As for seasonings... keep tasting as you go... you may need less or more of somethings depending on how seasoned the meat was that you put in.  If it's too salty... just add more water.
Serve it over any kind of noodles you like... or none at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment