Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Pumpkin Scones & Buttermilk Chocolate Chip Scones

I have never ever made a scone!

Before today that is.

I don't think I'd ever eaten one either. 

I didn't really even know what they were exactly

But that's ok... because they looked yummy

And I have some pumpkin puree to use up!

My friend Kara also does a food blog.

She had a recipe for these yummy scones and I've always wanted to try them

I just never had the motivation before

Well this time, one of her readers suggested a pumpkin scone recipe

Bingo!

Just up my alley!

So, here's Kara's reader recipe for pumpkin scones


Ingredients:
2 cups flour
4T Sugar
1 T Baking Powder
1 stick butter (1/2 Cup)
1 C pumpkin puree
1 T of milk
1 tsp of pumpkin pie spice (or a mix of cinnamon, ginger, and cloves).
1C raisins or chocolate chips

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Mix all dry ingredients together
Then add:1/2 Cup (1 cube) butter cut in with pastry cutter until crumbly (I cube up my cold butter before I throw it in) *see photo at bottom of page
Mix in 1 C pumpkin puree + 1 T of milk + 1 tsp of pumpkin pie spice

Kara's reader recipe calls for chocolate chips here.. but I opted for 3/4 C raisins and they complimented the pumpkin wonderfully!  Plus, I am not a huge chocolate fan.

Pat into round on a floured cookie sheet. Sprinkle with cinammon & sugar. Cut into 8 pie wedges. Separate onto cookie sheet.


Bake for 12-15 minutes until lightly golden brown on the bottom




and then here is Kara's original recipe for the regular ol' buttermilk scones with chocolate chips



Ingredients:
2 cups flour
4T Sugar
1 T Baking Powder
1 stick butter (1/2 Cup)
1 C Chocolate chips
1 C Buttermilk or nonfat plain yogurt
**Also - if you don't have either on hand, just add 1 Tbsp of lemon juice or vinegar plus enough milk to make 1 Cup and that will be your buttermilk

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Mix all dry ingredients together
Then add:1/2 Cup (1 cube) butter cut in with pastry cutter until crumbly (I cube up my cold butter before I throw it in)
Mix in the buttermilk

You can add chocolate chips here if you want to ( trust me... you want to)

Pat into round on a floured cookie sheet. Sprinkle with sugar. Cut into 8 pie wedges. Separate onto cookie sheet.

Bake for 12-15 minutes until lightly golden brown on the bottom



***Review:
The kids really liked these.  My 5 yr old said... where's the pumpkin flavor? in the pumpkin ones.  I really should have added more raisins.... they definitely helped bring out the flavor.  The Buttermilk chocolate chips scones were by far the favorite.   I brought these to my bible study and everyone liked them.  Or... they were being polite...lol   But, they ate them.... so that's good.  I personally didn't love them.  I am not a "cake" person, and these are pretty much a cakey-biscuit (if I had to describe them).  They aren't really that sweet, and I like sweet.  BUT... they were great dipped in my coffee.... so I did like them that way.   Hubs tried one and liked it too!  They are, however, very easy to make and I think would be great with morning coffee too!

**Tips:
I think the only thing I would do different is to add at least double the raisins to the pumpkin ones next time... 
Also, just an FYI, I didn't have buttermilk (who actually keeps that in their fridge?) so I used the lemon juice/milk combo.  I do keep lemon juice on hand :) and I used mini chocolate chips.  One of the suggestions on Kara's blog is to add chunks of cream cheese and dried cherries to the mix... if I ever make these again, that will be the recipe I try!
One tip for the novice pastry chef. If you want to see what a pastry cutter looks like click here
I couldn't find mine, so I just used a fork to cut/blend the butter into the flour.... it takes a little more time but it can be done that way.  Also cutting the butter up into small chunks makes it easier when using a fork!
The photo here shows what "crumbly" should look like:

1 comment: