Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Chicken pot pie Crockpot OR Oven

Yes, we are still using the chicken we grilled on Monday!

Pretty handy huh?

Well, I think so anyway.

Because today.... I had a field trip to go on and Boy Scout popcorn selling stuff at night. 

Which left me, well just about ZERO time to make dinner.

I wanted to make Chicken pot pie but didn't have the time ( & I've never done it before)

Whatever did I do, you ask?  Well, I got up early, threw some stuff in the crockpot, wrangled my kids

(you dont even want to hear that story) and headed off to the pumpkin patch.

Did I mention that I came home to a wondeful hot meal? 

Well, I did.

And... it was good! 

Do you want to make some too?  

Oh wait.  What if you don't want to use the crockpot or just don't have one? 

I have a plan!

My friend Kara has a cooking blog too. 

And she just happens to have a great recipe for Chicken Pot Pie for the oven on her blog.

Check it out here

Wanna know the coolest part?  You can FREEZE it too!  I love it!

Where was I? Oh yeah............

Chicken pot pie in the CROCKPOT

Ingredients:

4 Tbs butter
3/4 cup chopped onion
3/4 cup chopped celery
6 TBSP Cornstarch
3 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp pepper
3 cups cooked, shredded or cubed chicken
2 cups cooked cubed potatoes ( I only partially cooked them)
1 bag frozen mixed veggies (peas,carrots,beans,corn)
1 roll of pilsbury cresent dough seamless roll  (fits the crockpot perfectly)

Directions:

Put all ingredients except dough & cornstarch into the crockpot.
Slowly add cornstarch while stirring/whisking liquid (to prevent lumps)
Cook on low for 10 hours or high for 4 hours.
An hour or so before you're ready to eat, place the sheet of dough across the top of chicken mixture
When dough is cooked, it's ready to eat.

***Review:
I was really happy with this dish.  I actually sampled it a few times before it was done.  I think it could have used a tiny bit more seasonings... but I had never made this before and didn't want to add too much.  Another problem I found was that it was a little too soupy.  I added more broth than I was supposed to because I thought the crockpot cooking would use it up... but I was wrong.  It was still good though... and after it sat, it thickend up anyway. 
As for the topping, I meant to use real pie crust (rather than homemade) but accidently bought the pillsbury cressent roll dough sheet and not regular dough.  I was happy with the results though.  And I wasn't sure how long pie dough would take to cook in the crockpot anyway.  I will check that out another time.
Overall I will give this a thumbs up.  I ate 2 bowls, my 4 year old ate all of his and all of his brothers'. The hubs liked his too!  Yay!
I will be making this is the oven somtime too.... can't wait to make one and freeze one!

**Tips:
I adjusted the recipe above to make up for all my experimenting.  You could add different veggies or a different topping if you are adventerous.  If you really wanted to, you could add a can of cream of chicken soup to this also.... but honestly, I feel like every single crockpot meal calls for that, and I'm sick of it. 
As for the seasonings, if you grill the chicken, that will give it a lot of flavor.  If you use boiled chicken, you may want to season it a little more. 
I haven't tried this, but I am guessing that you could even use raw chicken in this one and it would be fine!  If you try it, let me know how it worked for you!  Otherwise, I will try that next time... just for fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment