Friday, October 15, 2010

Chicken Salad

Ingredients:
- 6 chicken breast cooked and cubed/shredded
- 4 stalks of celery, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 1/2 tsp coarse sea salt
- 1tsp pepper
- 3/4 C mayo
- 1 Tbs lemon juice
- 2 Tbs frank's red hot sauce
- 40 seedless red grapes, cut in half

Directions:
Cut up chicken and place in large bowl. Set aside.
Dice celery and onions. Add to bowl of chicken.
Dice garlic, set aside
Slice grapes in half and add to bowl.
Add mayo to bowl
Add pepper
On a cutting board, place the sea salt and garlic together.
Chop them up together with a knife to mix, then (I know this sounds wierd, but it's the KEY to this recipe) lay the knife on its side and crush the garlic into the salt. :)
Add garlic/salt mix to bowl.
Add lemon juice
Add Franks red hot (to taste only... you don't have to use it all)
Mix it all together and it's done.

***Review:
I have never liked chicken salad... ever. I LOVE this chicken salad. My cousin Blake gave me this recipe and I've changed a few things, but it is AWESOME! Everyone loves this. The kids? eh... hit or miss! But that's with most anything.

**Tips:
I need to say that the KEY ingredient here is the coarse salt and the garlic crused together. If you don't have coarse salt, you can still make this... but I am telling you.. you should get some coarse salt. It makes all the difference.
I do not like spicy food... so I don't add the Franks red hot. That can be added to each individual serving if necessary. But I hear it's a great additon! Also, I use light mayo and you can't tell the difference. I boil my chicken, but you could grill it or pretty much cook it any way you want. Leftover chicken would be great for this as well. The original recipe didn't call for grapes... but I LOVE the grapes in this. I am a sucker for sweet & saltly. The grapes and the salt are perfect in this. Also, I do NOT like raw onion... so I don't add it to mine. But I know most people like it... so I kept it in the recipe. Feel free to add any other things you might like to this... I like it just how it is... but I know some people like to add apple or nuts.
I served mine on pita bread, but it's good on toast, bread or just plain if you're trying to watch your carbs.

Do you make a killer chicken salad? How do you like it?

No comments:

Post a Comment