Friday, October 15, 2010

Grandma's Chicken Cacciatore

Ingredients:
4 Chicken thighs-skinless
4 Chicken legs- skinless
2 29 oz cans of tomato sauce
1 14 oz can of Chicken broth
10 cloves of garlic
1/2 tsp dried basil

Directions:
Place all ingredients in crockpot
Cook for 6-8 hours
Stir a little before serving.
Shred chicken if desired

***Review:
I LOVE this recipe! It is attached to many fond memories of eating in my grandmothers kitchen. I didn't serve it to the kids tonight, but they will usually eat it. Hubby loves it as well. Had a friend over for dinner tonight and she liked it as well.
I will be honest though, this isn't my grandma's actual recipe. This morning when I put all the stuff in the crockpot and then went to get my recipe... it was missing. So, I had to wing it. I feel like I'm missing something... but I don't know what. Next week, when I see my grandma's 93 yr old sister, I will find out :)
Either way.... it's still good!

**Tips:
One thing my grandma did that I do not do, is fry the chicken first. But you can do that if you want. Just fry it for a few minutes to brown it.
Also, there should be green peppers in this recipe. I can't eat green peppers, so those are out too.
You can add mushrooms & onion as well... and I think I will try that next time.

Serving it:
I serve this dish over polenta and a slice of muenster cheese(underneath... so it melts). It's awesome like this. I make the polenta myself.. which is super simple.... but you could buy it already made too.
You can serve it over rice or noodles if you'd rather.
What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment