Friday, October 15, 2010

Crockpot Brown Sugar Chicken

Ingredients:
- 12 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, or 6 boneless, skinless breast halves
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon-lime soda
- 2/3 cup vinegar
- 3 to 6 cloves smashed garlic
- 2 T soy sauce
- 1 tsp ground black pepper ( I never add this)
Directions:

  • Use a 4 quart crockpot for this recipe. 
  • Put the chicken into your crockpot.
  • Cover with the brown sugar, pepper, chopped garlic, soy sauce. vinegar, and soda.
  • Cover and cook on low for 6-9 hours, or on high for 4-5.
  • The chicken is done when it is cooked through and has reached desired consistency. The longer you cook it, the more tender it will be.
***Review:
We love love love this chicken. My friend Merran made it for us one night and we make it all the time now.
The kids love it, the adults love it!
**Tips:
We serve it over rice... brown or white. We also serve it over noodles sometimes... whatever we have handy. It doesn't even matter what kind of noodles you use! Then we add a veggie on the side.
I would caution those that want to use chicken breast to use the low setting. I have been told by friends that when they've used breast meat, it gets too dry if it cooks for too long. Also, you can use fresh or frozen meat. If you use bone in chicken beware that the bones seperate off the chicken and get into the broth which makes them hard to find... and you might get a bone in the mix when you eat... (that happend to me) so be careful. I now buy a bag of frozen boneless thighs and dump the whole thing in. Also, if you're using breast meat... consider cooking it on high only 4 hours to keep it from drying out. 
Again, if you have a smaller family you can use the same amount of all ingredients and just use less chicken... all you will get is more broth.
I use a 6 quart crockpot when I make this (even though it says to use a 4 qt) and I have no problems.  BUT... I have had a few people tell me that their liquid is drying up fast ....so if you do use a larger crockpot and it cooks on the hotter side....keep an eye on it until you are sure.

3 comments:

  1. Have this one in the crockpot for tonight....super excited to see how it turns out!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK----so my kids LOVED it. I must admit that it smelled a bit strong while cooking and I wasn't quite sure about it but it turned out great. I made brown rice (which my boys won't usually eat) but made it with the juices left from the chicken and they ate it up. They still dipped the chicken in ranch but what can I say....I have condiment kids!! I did use chicken breast and it did get a bit dried out so next time I'll definitely use dark meat. Great recipe Carli---thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're welcome! Yay! I am so glad your kids loved it! thanks for letting me know what you think. Great idea to use the chicken juices to make the rice.

    ReplyDelete