Friday, October 15, 2010

Breakfast for Dinner

Breakfast Casserole
Ingredients:
 - 6 slices of bread torn coarsely
- 1 lb bulk sausage cooked & drained
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar
- 6 med. eggs
- 2 cups Milk
- 1 tsp salt
-1/4 tsp pepper

Directions:
  • Pre-heat ove to 350
  • Lightly grease 13x9 baking pan or casserole dish
  • Place torn bread in bottom of pan
  • Top with sausage and cheese
  • In seperate bowl, beat eggs, milk, salt and pepper
  • Pour over bread/sausage/cheese mixture in pan
  • Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until mixture is set in center and lightly browned.
*** Review:
This is a great dish. I got it out of the back of a magazine many years ago. I make it when I need to serve a lot of people for breakfast, because it's yummy and fast. But sometimes, breakfast for dinner is fun too.
Our whole family loves this dish.

**Tips:
One thing I do is leave the bread out overnight so it gets a little stale ... sometime I would like to try using some italian or french bread for a little bit of a different texture. You could also probably use leftover dinner rolls or anything similar. I like this dish just how it is.. but you cold probably experiment and add a few veggies if you wanted.... I bet that would be good. I also make the sausage the day before usually because I am NOT a morning person and it's just one less step... plus I hate going into the day smelling like fried food.
You can use any sort of shredded cheese too... I used Colby Jack this time because I was out of cheddar. In this recipe I used turkey sausage... it was the first time I'd done that and I loved it! 

Let me know what YOU think!!

No comments:

Post a Comment