Friday, October 15, 2010

Crockpot Applesauce Chicken

Ingredients:
 - 4 frozen chicken breast halves or thighs
- 1 1/2 cups of applesauce
- 1 T dried onion flakes, or 1 yellow onion, chopped finely
- 1 T apple cider vinegar (you can use white vinegar if you need to)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes or 1 Tbs. hot sauce (optional)

Directions:
  • In a seperate bowl, mix the applesauce, vinegar, garlic, dried onion and spices together.
  • Put the frozen chicken pieces into your crockpot.
  • Add the onion
  • Add applesauce mix to crockpot
  • Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours, or on high for 3-4.
***Review:
I got this recipe off a blog I read... everyone seemed to love it.
I didn't love it. My kids didn't love it. (ok.. the baby loved it, but he'll eat anything) It wasn't bad but I wouldn't make it for company. I would rate it a 4 out of 10. I usually like sweet and savory, but this just didn't seem to have enough flavor. I used unsweetend applesauce so maybe that was a problem? It was better when I added salt. I think if I made it again, I would add salt to the crockpot for sure...Also, I would maybe serve it over a flavored rice or noodles instead of just white rice.
I did like how easy it was... and again, it wasn't bad.. just not great. The best part? It's low in calories... so that's a bonus!  UPDATE: Hubby took it to work the next day and raved over it....hmmm!
If you make this I would love to hear what you think. The reviews I read raved about it.... so I am curious as to what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment