Friday, October 15, 2010

Taco Cornbread Casserole

Ingredients-
- 2 boxes of Jiffy Cornbread
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 C Milk
- 1-2 Lbs ground meat (burger or turkey)
- 1 pkg taco seasoning
*1 Can corn (drained)
*1 can Black Beans (rinsed & drained)
*1 can Diced Tomato (drained)
*Sour cream (on the side)
*Salsa (on the side)
(* items are all optional)
Directions-
  • Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees
  • Brown meat and drain
  • Add taco seasoning and mix
  • Add corn, beans & tomato to the meat mix (you can add any or none of these if you don't like them)
  • Put meat into bottonm of 8x10 dish
  • Mix the jiffy mix with eggs and milk and pour batter evenly over top of meat.
  • Bake or 20-30 minutes @ 400 degrees or until cornbread is golden AND cooked through.
  • This will make 8 large portions
***Review:
This is one of my kids (and our) favorites! They don't like it when I add tomato... but I did today and they just picked them out. We top it with sour cream and salsa and mash it all up in the bowl. It's an easy quick meal. I think it took about 40 minutes total...
** Tips:
Sometimes I keep frozen taco meat in the freezer and use that and it cuts out a step.
One problem I run across is that sometimes after 20 minutes, the cornbread is golden, but not totally done in the center... next time I may try covering it near the end. Also, if you don't drain the veggies & meat well, the dish will be watery when you cut into it.
You could also try this in the crockpot, but I personally think it would be more work than it's worth to do it that way. I figure if I'm already using the stove to cook the meat I may as well put it in the oven for 20 minutes.
One last thing... if you don't have a large family, you can cut the recipe in half and use an 8x8 dish.
Thanks to my friend Allison who gave me this recipe years ago in a frantic Dinner Drama moment!

No comments:

Post a Comment