Friday, October 15, 2010

Penne Pasta & Sausage

Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 lbs Italian sausage
- 1 16oz. box of Penne pasta
- 6-8 cloves of garlic diced or pressed
- 1 C Spinach (frozen or fresh)
- 3 14oz. Cans of Diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp salt

Directions:
Slice sausage into chunks/circles
Boil the pasta
While the pasta is cooking, cook the sausage in a large fry pan.
When sausage is mostly cooked, set aside.
Wipe grease from pan and add diced garlic, cut spinach and cans of tomatoes.
Simmer the tomato mix for about 10 minutes.
Add the salt to the tomato mix.
Add the sausage and cook about 5 minutes to blend flavors.
At this point the pasta should be done and you are ready to eat.

***Review:
I love this recipe. It tastes great and takes about 40 minutes from start to finish! The kids love love love the sausage and noodles... they are not tomato fans... but they ate most of it. Hubby loves it and anyone I've ever made it for has loved it. My handy dandy neighbor/taste tester came over and tried it... she loved it too! This is probably one of my favorite easy quick meals, because it looks and tastes like it took all day... but it didn't! That's my kind of cooking! It also has a very "fresh & light" taste... which is great, becase some pastas just feel so heavy after you eat.

**Tips:
To cut the sausage more easily you should do it when it's slightly frozen... or it just falls apart. On the other hand, you could totally use a crumbled sausage in this too. It just wouldn't look as good. I used Johnsonville Italian sausage because my kids won't eat it if it's too spicy... but I have made it with super hot sausage as well. If you love spicy, that's the way to go. The sausage is really what seasons this whole dish.
Fresh spinach will give you much more of a green look... frozen gets this kind of dark browny-green color... can you guess which I used?
Obviously, you can add as much or as little garlic cloves and salt as you'd like. I LOVE garlic and tend to go pretty heavy on it in most recipes. And can I just add... PLEASE do not use that jarred diced garlic. It is nasty and doesn't have a real garlic flavor. You will not get the results you are looking for if you use that stuff.
As for Pasta, I used mini Penne this time because I was out of regular. I really liked it and will proabably use it again. You could really use any type of pasta with this though... so don't fret if you don't have what a recipe calls for.... it's pretty much interchangeable.

No comments:

Post a Comment