Thursday, October 28, 2010

Crockpot BBQ Pulled Pork sandwiches

I mentioned in a post earlier this week that I don't have a lot of fun pork recipes.

Actually, I rarely ever cook pork.  I don't know why.

But... this dish is my favorite. 

Sometimes I think about it.... and start craving it .... and I have to make it.

Or... sometimes pork is on clearance... and I make it then too, lol.

This is a very simple recipe. 

I don't even know if I would go so far as to call it a recipe. 

It makes a great dinner so I guess that counts.

Ingredients:
- 6 lbs Western Ribs (any kind of pork will do, roast or loin)
- 1 1/2 C Apple Juice (or apple cider vinegar)
- 1 bottle BBQ sauce
- *Shredded Cheese (optional, to taste)

Directions:
Trim fat off pork
Put it in the crockpot and pour juice over it.
Cook on high for 8 hours
When meat is done, it will shred/flake easily with a fork
Shred all the meat and add your bottle of BBQ sauce
Fill empty bottle from sauce with water and shake... then dump the bottle of water into crockpot
Stir and cook until heated through
Serve with cheese sprinkled on top.

***Review:
This is probably one of my most favorite things to eat.  I don't know if it's the texture or what... but I love it.
I was not home for dinner last night (this has been an unusually busy week) and I got this text from hubby:
"dinner was a hit tonight... it's awesome.  Kids asked for more and want to know if we can eat it for dinner tomorrow too.  Great job! Thanks"
I think that sums up the review!  BIG hit!

**Tips:
Pork takes quite a while to get to the right consistency for pulled pork.  If it's not done enough, it's just not as good.  If you have a large roast I would reommend cooking it overnight on low and then you can shred it in the morning and cook it on low all day (make sure there is enough liquid). Or you could leave it and shred it when you get home and re heat it.  It's pretty versatile and you can't really mess it up. 
As for the BBQ sauce... I think less is more.  You can always add more to each individual serving if you want more.  You can really play with this recipe and tweak it to your taste. Also, you don't have to use as much pork as I did either.  I love to eat this leftover as well, so I usually make a lot.... then I freeze whatever is left in individual portions and use it for lunches.

*Serving:
I love to serve this on a hard roll or a slice of french or italian bread.  My favorite way is to dig out a little of the center of the bread and place the pork in it.. sprinkle with cheddar and broil for a few minutes to melt the cheese.  You can just eat it plain as well.  You could put it on a burger bun too.  I would serve it with some grilled veggies and maybe some cole slaw! There are really no hard and fast rules as to how to eat this.  Have fun with it!

I'm sorry the photo isn't as close up as it normally is.  Hubby was kind enough to photograph his dinner for me last night (since I ate mine in the car).  Gotta love his rounded meal huh?  He must have eaten the veggies before he took the pic right?   

No comments:

Post a Comment