Friday, October 15, 2010

Mama's Mac & Cheese

Ingredients:
- 1 box macaroni noodles (I used a 14.5oz box)
- 1/2 stick butter or margerine
- 1/4 to 1/2 brick Velveeta cheese cubed
- 1/4 C Milk
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp Corn starch
Directions:
  • Boil the noodles until al dente'
  • In another pan, on low heat melt the butter and mix in the corn starch.
  • Add the Cheese cubes (depending on how cheesy you like it you can add more or less cheese)
  • Slowly melt it all together... if you cook it too high the cheese will burn and stick to the bottom of pan.
  • Add your milk.... (depending on the consistency you like you can add more or less milk.)
  • Once you have a nice creamy consistency add in the mustard powder and the nutmeg.
  • Once those are mixed in well, add the noodles and mix to coat.

***Review:
This has been a family favorite since I was little. It can be a main dish or a side dish. My mom always makes it with pork chops or steak. I made it tonight as a main dish mainly because my kids are sick of me cooking all these new things and wanted something familiar. They LOVE it and ate all of it. There isn't even enough left for my hubby! Luckily all those crockpot meals equal into some good leftovers!
**Tips:
On a normal night I would probably serve some grilled chicken with it too... or if the boys had their way... hotdogs!
Also, you can make more noodles or less and change the cheese amounts to adjust to that. You can't really mess this one up too bad.
This took me 30 minutes to make from putting water in the pan to eating at the table. Not too shabby!

No comments:

Post a Comment