Monday, October 25, 2010

Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole

Well it's a little late, but here is the last edition of what to do with your leftover chicken.

My son requested this recipe last week. 

Did you hear that?  My 8 year old son requested for me to make chicken!

Not pizza, not take out, not mac 'n cheese.... CHICKEN.

It was a proud moment. :)

I got this recipe in 2006 from our MOPS cookbook.  (thank you Jessica)

It's a pretty easy recipe.  I think my son could've made it himself... no, I'm not kidding.

Here we go..............

Ingredients:

- 6 chicken breasts (or a whole small chicken shredded)
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 Tbs poppyseeds
- 1/2 C butter melted
- 8 oz. Ritz crackers crushed (about 1 roll/package)

Directions:

Pre heat oven to 350 degrees
Boil chicken and cut into bite sized pieces (or use leftover cooked chicken)
Place chicken into a greased 9x13 casserole dish
In a bowl, mix soup, sour cream and poppy seeds
Pour mix over chicken pieces in casserole dish
Crush crakers in a bowl and pour melted butter over them
Mix to coat , then pour them over the top of casserole dish
Bake for 30 minutes or until heated through

***Review:
We love this dish. It's one of those foods that I will eat a second serving of just because it tastes so good...and not because I'm still hungry.  My kids love this dish.  My 14 year old who thinks I'm a horrid cook tasted this and smiled.  The other kids love it as well.  It's a definite winner at my house.   Apparently it's a winner at my parents house as well.  I made this for my mom and dad and they both loved it too!  Yay!

**Tips:
I usually make this chicken in the fall.... I think it's because after Thanksgiving, I need to use up all that leftover turkey.  Which brings me to my point.... this is GREAT with turkey.  A lot of times I buy those pre cooked chickens at the store when they go on clearance and then shred one up to use for this dish.
As for cooking tips go, I noticed that the top browned pretty good when I made it this time.  I didn't have my original recipe card with me but noticed when I got home that I wrote "cover w/foil" on the side.  Hmmm... maybe that wouldn't be a bad idea. I didn't mind the crackers being golden, but if you're not careful, it could get ugly fast.... so either use foil or really watch it. 

Here is what it looked like just out of the oven

And here it is on the plate! 

Let me know if you try this or if you have a similar recipe! 

4 comments:

  1. I made this same recipe a few months ago and my family (especially me) LOVED it! Great meal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely think it's a winner! My parents had people over yesterday and they ate the leftovers and raved about it...lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make this dish all the time and serve it over rice - it's really good that way. Also you can make the sauce less thick if you add approx. 1/4 cup of chicken broth to the soup & sour cream mixture. Don't add it in all at once, do it slowly until it reaches your desired consistency, you may have to add more or less.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tips.. it's always good to have a new twist on things!

    ReplyDelete