Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Turkey corn casserole

Ok... I will admit right off that I did not want to make this dish.

I would not consider myself a food snob, but there are certain foods I won't eat

Hamburger helper is among them (sorry if you like hamburger helper)

This dish kind of reminded me of a hamburger helper-ish meal

Anyway, long story longer, I had a yummy chicken dish I was going to make tonight

I went to the freezer to grab the bag of chicken that I knew was there and guess what?

Hubby decided to use it to experiment with a recipe of his own (yes... the whole bag)

This is in no way a good thing, since hubby is ONLY good at making breakfast foods.

One day I will tell you the story of him making his own BBQ sauce..... not pretty

Anyway... there was no chicken. 

There were also 70 mph winds and tornado warnings... so I wasn't going to the store.

What to do? What to do?

I searched the pantry, the freezers and the cookbooks.

I came up with this somehow. 

Really I think it was just that I didn't have much food on hand and I happened to have all the ingredients for this dish. 

Also, I was starving....so it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Guess what?  It WAS a good idea. 

I liked it.  Granted, I was starving..... but I wasn't the only one who liked it.

The kids liked it

The neighbor liked it

Did I mention I liked it?

The hubby liked it... a lot.

This is what the pan looked like when I got home last night:



This is in no way a "company" type meal though.

Meaning, I would never serve it to company( because it's not pretty - see photo below), but it did the job...and that's what counts right?

No Dinner drama for this mama!

Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
- 1lb ground turkey
- 2 cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1(16oz) pkg egg noodles
- 1 (15 oz) can corn (drained)
- 2 (10.75 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup
- salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x13 casserole dish
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add noodles, cook for 6 to 8 minutes, until not quite done, and drain.
Place turkey in a skillet over medium heat, and cook until evenly brown. Drain grease.
In a bowl, gently mix cooked noodles and turkey, corn, and soup. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to the prepared baking dish.
Bake 20 minutes in the preheated oven, until bubbly.


***Review:
As you can tell from what I wrote above, we really liked this one.  It's not pretty, but it's a decent dinner... it tastes good... which is half of what counts...lol

**Tips:
As you can see from my lovely photos, I did not use egg noodles.  Why? because hubby somehow used those too and left me with a half of a bag.  I improvised and used bow tie noodles... they worked fine, which leads me to believe you could pretty much use any kind of pasta you want in this dish. 
Also, next time I might throw a little cheese on top just for fun!  I also think you could easily use ground beef or even shredded chicken or turkey... pretty versatile dish.  Add a few green veggies too and it might look better...lol

No comments:

Post a Comment